Tuesday, June 06, 2006

Phishing: It's not just for rednecks anymore!

But it is for filthy scum-sucking asshole monkey rapists.

For those who don't know what phishing is, it's a form of fraud that involves sending e-mails that seem legitimate, but are actually scams that harvest personal information, usually leading to identity theft.

Most of these dickheads who do this shit can't even do it properly. The con-men who swindle little old ladies out of their life savings know what the hell they're doing. It's their job, they take pride in it. It doesn't make it right, but at least they're putting forth an effort.

As an example, I just got a phishing e-mail, supposedly from Amazon, requesting that I update my account records. I can honestly say that no company, in the history of companies, has ever asked me to update my account records unless I contacted them first. Regardless, that wasn't the first thing that tipped me off. The e-mail was in HTML, but it was in broken HTML. It's not that my e-mail client is incapable of reading HTML, no, the tags were fucked up, which caused the whole thing to display as text. I sincerely doubt that Amazon would fuck up the HTML tags in an official message. Nice going, assholes.

I decided to read it anyway, just to see what else they fucked up. There was a grammatical error that most people wouldn't notice, and at the end, the signature was "Amazon Security Departament." I guess they're Italian. Since the HTML was broken, I could also clearly see that the link to click on to "update your account" was actually a redirect, of course. Finally, it was sent to my tensidedrpg.com address. My Amazon account, however, is linked to my yahoo.com address. Amazon doesn't know I have a tensidedrpg address, so they sure as hell wouldn't be sending me a request to update my account records at it.

Phish this, phuckers.

No comments: