Sunday, June 11, 2006

Movies, Movies, the magical fruit, the more you...wait

So I've got some more critiques of the celluloid medium here. First up, one I saw at the theatre this weekend.

Cars, rated G, featuring the voices of Owen Wilson and Paul Newman, among others. It's a Pixar flick, so I had to see it. And while I'm not disappointed I saw it, I'm left feeling a little flat. It seems like the other Pixar flicks were a lot funnier, or at least had better stories. They moved quicker, too. Any movie that runs almost 2 hours needs to be able to justify a running time like that, and I don't think Cars does. It dragged in more than a few places. That's not to say it was all bad, of course. The visuals were stunning. If not for the cartoony automobiles, you could easily get lost in the scenery. The comedy, while sparse, was good. With any animated film, you have to strike a balance between what's funny for the kids, and what's funny for the adults, and I thought Cars did a good job of that. I recommend seeing it in the theatre, but I'm not sure about adding it to your collection when it comes to DVD.

Superman: The Movie, rated PG, starring Christopher Reeve, Gene Hackman, and Margot Kidder. What a great movie. Cheesy, yes, but aren't all superhero movies? Great performance from Christopher Reeve as both Clark Kent and Superman. I mean, Reeve is Superman, and the new kid in Superman Returns is going to have do one hell of a job to convince me otherwise.

Superman II, rated PG, starring Christopher Reeve, Gene Hackman, Margot Kidder, and Terence Stamp. "Come to me, son of Jor-El, kneel before Zod!" It had been so long since I'd seen either of these movies (I can't rightly remember if I'd ever seen II, actually), it was a pleasure to see them again, as if for the first time. Now I'm ready to see Superman Returns. There's some nonsense floating around the internet that there were two other Superman movies, but you know how the internet is.

Glory Road, rated PG, starring Josh Lucas (who the hell is Josh Lucas?). Shows you how familiar I am with "feel-good" movies, I was certain Texas Western was going to lose the championship game to Kentucky, and Coach Haskins would tell his players, "You played your best, we'll get em next time!" Whoops. Still, an interesting true story, and a reminder of how far we've come in 40 years, and how far we still have to go.

2 comments:

Bort said...

While I don't necessarily disagree, I don't entirely agree.

I was thoroughly entertained by Cars. Is it Pixar's best? Not in my opinion. But that's coming from a guy who thinks Toy Story is their best. Though, admittedly, it does trade places with The Incredibles rather easily.

I can say this, Cars is their best looking picture to date. Of course, the caveat there being that every new movie is better looking than the last. I can't say that I was bored silly at any point in the movie, but I did have time on certain occassions to begin to appreciate the beauty that is the presentation of the movie. (Meaning, the art was fantastic.)

I think I got all of the jokes, if not most. Which reminds me, I should send an email to the Car Talk guys, Ray and Tom (unspellable last name) congratulating and praising them for their bit parts in the movie. I think I was the only person in the theatre who recognized their voices.

And that's something I've loved about Pixar. They put the right voices in the right places.

It was a fun movie, no two ways about it. And it won't look any stranger in my collection than Toy Story.

Did you stay for the full run of the end credits? More hilarity there than you could shake a stick at.

Duke Norik said...

Yes, I found the end credits to be the funniest part of the movie.

I just don't think it was on the level of Pixar's other films. I was certainly entertained, and like I said, I encourage everyone to see it at the theatre. But I don't have the urge to watch it a second time.