Tuesday, July 13, 2004

Third impressions of (name of national electronics chain removed for the protection of the guilty)

Perhaps I was a bit hasty with my initial reactions. After all, I was basing my conclusions on the training material, and a few candid conversations with/between employees.

Today was my third day at (name of national electronics chain removed for the protection of the guilty), and I (finally) finished the initial block of computer-based learning. I was also able to learn a little about how the point of sale system worked from a fellow associate, and even got a bit of hands on training from my manager (surprise/shock). I think most of the vitriol in my previous post was because, after the first 2 days, I felt like I was a student again. I hated being a student, and after I was finished, I was so happy that I'd never have to sit through a boring class again. And yet, there I was, being lectured by a computer program for 6 hours straight.

The other thing I hated about the e-learning, as it's called, is that I don't learn that way. I have to actually do something in order to get it. You can sit there and explain things to me all day long, but as soon as I go to try it, I'll say, "Now how do I do this/that again?" If you tell me how to do it as I'm doing it for myself, I'll never have to ask you again; that's just the way my brain works.

The other realization I had today was that it doesn't matter if I'm a salesman or not, and am willing to sacrifice my moral fiber in order to push DirecTV on some unsuspecting shmuck. As I said, I'm not at this job for the long haul, I'm just making some money and getting some experience until I find a better job. Ben (my supervisor at COP IT) told me today that his Dad used to tell him, "Get in, do what you need to, and get out." I'm in, I'm going to learn what I need to, and then I'm going to get out. If it takes 6 months, fine, if takes 4 weeks, that's fine, too. (EDIT (10/10/2005): As it turned out, it took 4 days)

What's more, is that the disgruntled employees I overheard were probably in the minority. I talked to some more of my coworkers today, and they don't seem to have a big problem with working there. Most of them are students who are currently attending, or about to attend, college, and are simply working part time to pay some bills. It doesn't matter that they don't get full time benefits, because they're not there for the long haul anyway.

Also to my relief, I was able to ask for a nametag, and got to sign in today (as well as get credit for the hours I worked yesterday and Saturday). So I'll actually get a paycheck in a few weeks.

Still, I don't think (name of national electronics chain removed for the protection of the guilty) is a good place to work (unless you're a student), and I wouldn't recommend it to anyone I know. There are better part time jobs out there, to be sure. And there are damn sure better jobs if you have a degree.

No comments: