Sunday, July 18, 2004

The Last Post about (name of national electronics chain removed for the protection of the guilty), I swear

I swear this is the last post about (name of national electronics chain removed for the protection of the guilty), because I'm done working there. I've bitched a lot about that place, but let me give you the 411 on the straw that broke the camel's back.

I was working at COP IT on Friday, and Ben asked me if I could come in on Sunday to do some work at the South Campus lab. I said sure, since (name of national electronics chain removed for the protection of the guilty) hadn't called me with my schedule at that point.

Fast forward to dinnertime on Saturday, my phone rings. I don't answer it, since I'm eating, but when I get the message, it's my manager. "I need you to come in tomorrow from 11-7. Ok, thanks buddy."

*raised eyebrow, mouth agape* Let me get this straight: I'm working part time hours, getting part time benefits and part time pay, and yet you want me to work an 8 hour shift on a Sunday?!? Fuck you, buddy.

I call back and let them know that I had a prior commitment to my other job, that I had made on Friday (I actually said that, just to be clear). After I finish the explanation, the lady I was talking to says, real pissy, "So you won't be able to make it in, right?" Yeah, bitch, that's right. Did you even hear what the fuck I just said? No, of course you didn't, you stopped listening after I said, "I can't come in tomorrow, because..." She just assumed I was lying about my other job in order to get out of working, I guarantee it.

So today I was working at the University, and my phone rings. It's my manager. He asks me "what the deal" was with today. So I explained to him that I was working at the University. He asked when I would be done. I said about 2 or 3. He says, "So you can come in after, then?" I said, "Uh, yeah, I guess I can do that."

After I hung up the phone, I was super pissed. I did some thinking about the costs and benefits of working at (name of national electronics chain removed for the protection of the guilty). Benefits: money. Costs: my free time, less hours at COP IT (where I get paid more than at (name of national electronics chain removed for the protection of the guilty)), my moral fiber, pain in my feet and back, and self-respect.

I called back and told my manager that I quit. I gave him some bullshit about how I thought I'd like retail sales, but it just wasn't my cup of tea (which is half the truth, really, I never thought I'd like retail sales), and that I was thankful for the opportunity, and terribly sorry about quitting (again, half the truth, I was thankful for the opportunity, but sorry I took it). He didn't seem too upset, so that was good.

So that's the last you'll hear about (name of national electronics chain removed for the protection of the guilty). Fucking cockknockers.

No comments: