Friday, July 16, 2004

News Flash

Your vote doesn't count. It has never counted, and it never will, unless you're the only one voting. And since that's not likely to happen, your vote doesn't count.

"But local elections have been decided by one vote before!" Only a handful of times, and that doesn't prove your point. If anything, it strengthens mine. Since it's only happened a small number of times in the history of democracy means it has a very small statistical chance of occurring. Therefore, your vote doesn't count.

"If everyone thought their vote didn't count, no one would vote!" True, but let's say I buy that argument and decide to vote. Whoops, my vote still doesn't count because everyone else is voting, too, and as we now know, one vote is statistically insignificant.

"If everyone who doesn't vote suddenly decided to, it would make a difference!" Right again, but if I decide to vote for that reason, everyone else still won't, and my vote still doesn't count.

"It's your civic duty to vote, people gave their lives so you could have the right to vote!" And I thank them for it. But it still doesn't change the fact that my vote doesn't count.

"If you don't vote, you have no right to complain about the results!" The hell I don't. I still pay taxes, and I'm affected by the outcome whether I voted for the asshole who got elected or not, so I damn well have a right to complain.

"One man can make a difference, just recruit others to vote the way you do!" But that's not one vote counting, is it? That's a bloc of votes, which obviously does count. The fact remains that my vote doesn't count.

Voting is inherently illogical as your vote is insignificant. I'm not saying people who vote are stupid or ignorant. They have reasons why they vote, and that's fine. What I'm explaining is why your, my, or your neighbor's individual vote doesn't count.

That said, I still plan to vote for Kerry in November. Why? Because he's not Bush, that's why.

P.S. Credit goes to my good friend, Justin Flynn, for refuting some of these arguments.

No comments: