Monday, May 15, 2006

End of Season Roundup

So we're coming to the end of another network television season, and I think it's time to revisit the shows I've been watching for 8-9 months.

Monday night:

How I Met Your Mother, 7:30 pm, CBS - A quality show that surprised me with how good it was, and that I actually liked it (since it's basically a romantic comedy in a sitcom format). Plus, you've got Alyson Hannigan, and recent guest stars and Buffy-verse vets Alexis Denisof and Amy Acker. We still don't know how the main character met his wife, but if we did, they'd have to end the show, I suppose.

Prison Break, 8:00 pm, FOX - Apparently, the fans came back after this show's 3 month hiatus, and FOX has a second season planned. The cons escaped in the last episode, so maybe they'll have to change the name from Prison Break to Manhunt.

Tuesday night:

Veronica Mars, 9:00 pm, UPN - This show switched nights midway through the season, and Tuesday came to be known as "Veronica Mars-day." However, I must now go through a painful, months-long withdrawal from VM, and I don't know if I'll make it. I'll have to clutch my DVDs and rock myself to sleep until the best show on television returns in the fall.

Wednesday night:

Bones, 8:00 pm, FOX - Another show that seems to have a second season planned, and which also switched nights midway through the season. I can finally look at David Boreanaz now and not see Angel.

Lost, 9:00 pm, ABC - This show will be on as long as the people involved want to continue making it, because the viewers will show up, even if it was on at 4 in the morning.

Thursday night:

Smallville, 8:00 pm, WB - This is probably the weakest show on the list. I could miss the first half hour, and still know exactly what's going on, because the characters explain it to me. If I missed a half hour of Veronica Mars, I'd be just as lost as the folks on the island on that other network.

My Name Is Earl, 9:00 pm, NBC - Jason Lee rocks. He rocks so much, he gets another season, after surviving the switch to Thursday midway through the season.

The Office, 9:30 pm, NBC - Hi-larious. Another season for the gang at the office, who survived the move along with Earl.

Supernatural, 9:00 pm, WB - I had to watch this show's whole season on tape delay, since there was always something else I wanted to watch during it's slot. Hopefully, it'll get another season, because this one ended with a gigantic cliffhanger, and absolutely nothing was resolved. CW execs, I swear to god, if you don't pick up this show and VM in the fall, I will...well, I won't watch your network. And if I see you walking down the street, I'll spit in your eye.

Justice League Unlimited deserves a special mention here. While I never watched a single new episode on TV, I discovered it on DVD, and it's fantastic. Unfortunately, it's also over, since apparently DC is concerned with their continuity, and their big two franchises, Bats and Supes (except in the case of Smallville, or that FOX kids show, The Batman, or pretty much anywhere else except for JLU). So a great show gets the axe, whereas a mediocre show and an absolute shit show get to live on for eternity.

One more thing, remember this post? I don't think Sony will have a production shortage (they're planning on shipping 2 million consoles by the end of the year), in fact, I think they're going to have a huge surplus. PS3's will be sitting on store shelves this Christmas. That #3 is important, because that's what position Sony will be in the console war. Wait and see.

No comments: