Monday, May 01, 2006

Ad-semen. That's right, I said it.

You know what chaps my ass? (that's an oldie but goodie, right there) Websites with fucking flash ads or whatever the hell it is where the ad pops up over the page content, and you can't make it go away until it's done with it's bullshit. Now, I'm so desensitized to banner ads and shit that I don't even notice them anymore. But popping an ad up over your content? Isn't that counter-productive?

Let's think about this. You have a website. Websites cost money to host, and if you have other people creating content, it costs money to have them on staff. So you allow space for advertisers to pitch their product. That's all well and good. But why in the blue hell would you allow an advertiser to splash their shit all over your content? Joe Websurfer doesn't come to any particular website just for the ads. I mean, shit, do people watch a particular TV program just for the ads?

Wait, maybe that's a bad example. I know some people that are more interested in the Super Bowl ads than the game itself. Shit.

Even so, I don't think people visit any given website for the ads. Period. So we come back to my question: why would any webmaster let advertisers shoot their ad-semen all over their content? Because as a websurfer, if I see that shit, not only am I going to leave the site immediately and get that content somewhere else, but I'll probably never come back. So both the webmaster and the advertiser get fucked.

Of course, as with a lot of other things, maybe I'm the only one that feels this way.

No comments: