Monday, July 02, 2007

Movies and a New Toy

After a long drought (much longer than I originally planned on), I went to the theatre today. Saw Live Free or Die Hard. I thought it was pretty good. Excellent summer movie fare. Improbable and implausible, yes, but also fun and exhilarating. Yippie ki yay, mother fucker! Plus, it had Kevin Smith in a cameo role. Everyone who reads this blog knows how much I respect that man's work.

Oh, speaking of Kevin Smith, I caught a flick he was in a few weeks ago on DVD. It's called Catch and Release, and stars Jennifer Garner and Timothy Olyphant (Olyphant was also in LForDH). For a romantic comedy, it wasn't bad. I think Kevin stole every scene he was in, and I'm not just saying that cause I'm a fan. If you like any of the actors in the movie, or are just a fan of romantic comedies (god help you), check out Catch and Release.

Finally, I got a new toy. Check this bad boy out:


That right there is a 37" LCD HDTV, capable of 1080p. I also got a set of nice 2.1 speakers (those are them on the top shelf, and the subwoofer is on the floor to the right), which came with a slot-loading style DVD player. I've got my PS2 on the middle shelf next to the DVD player, and my Wii on the bottom shelf next to the satellite receiver. I still need to get a system selector so I can hook my systems up with component cables (rather than the shitty composite ones they're currently hooked up with), an HDMI cable to plug the DVD player in with so it will upconvert, and in a month or so (just before the new fall TV and football season starts) have the Dish guys come out and swap in an HD receiver.

I was going to wait until I got my debt paid off to make a purchase like this, but Newegg was offering a line of credit with no payments for 6 months. My debt will be paid off in about 2, after which the Newegg credit can be paid off well before I would start accumulating interest.

And in case you're wondering, I christened the setup by watching the pilot episode of Veronica Mars. I've got the next few days off work, so I'm going to give it a workout, including, but not limited to, Buffy Season 6's Once More With Feeling, a couple episodes of Firefly, and a marathon showing of the Star Wars OT.

No comments: