Saturday, September 15, 2007

Weekend Movie Reviews

Couple of classics to run down this weekend.

12 Angry Men, Not Rated, starring Henry Fonda, Lee J. Cobb, E.G. Marshall, Jack Klugman, and Jack Warden. I actually saw the made-for-TV remake before I saw this version, and now I kind of regret it. The made-for-TV version, while a very good film, is really nothing more than a shot for shot, line by line reenactment of the original. Lee J. Cobb yelled long before George C. Scott did, and while I can't deny Jack Lemmon is a terrific actor, Henry Fonda was Juror #8 first, and he did it better. When the jurors initially file into the deliberation room and start talking amongst themselves is one of the all time great one-shots. This is one of those classics that very truly deserves its status as a classic. It's not a classic just because it's old, it's a classic because it's an excellent film. Which brings me to...

Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb, rated PG, starring Peter Sellers, George C. Scott, and Slim Pickens. What the hell? This is a classic? This is regarded as one of the best films of all time? By who? Certainly not by me. I don't even know where to begin with what's wrong with this movie. It's overlong even though it's only 90 minutes, Peter Sellers is underused even though he plays 3 roles, and the satire, instead of biting is usually just stupid. Maybe I didn't "get it" or am somehow missing the "brilliance" that is Stanley Kubrick. It's possible, but then again, the only movie of his I've seen that was good from start to finish was The Shining, and that's probably because of Jack Nicholson. My advice: if you're looking for a good movie, pass on Dr. Strangelove.

No comments: