Monday, September 03, 2007

Gaming Update

I finished GH 80s last week. Now that I've seen all it had to offer, my opinion of it is somewhat downgraded. It was still fun while it lasted, but I just don't see myself going back to it like I did with the first two games. Plus, I didn't think that this was possible, but I think I'm looking forward to GH 3 less now. With 80s, and to some extent, GH 2, it seemed like certain tracks were less about the music and more about the "game." It was like the devs said, "Screw what the actual guitar tab would look like, let's throw all sorts of crazy note progressions and chord changes at them because it's gotta feel like a game." Bullshit, it should feel like music. Once it stops feeling like music and starts feeling like a game, you've lost me as a player. That may sound unusual, but look at it this way: when I fire up GH, I don't want to feel like I'm holding a plastic guitar pushing buttons and jiggling a lever, I want to feel like I'm a fucking rock star wailing away on awesome riffs. I'm really hoping GH 3 doesn't continue that trend, but I have my doubts. Rock Band, on the other hand, seems to be all about the music. I guess I'll have to wait and see.

BioShock just gets better the more I play. Hot damn.

I rented Rainbow Six: Vegas for PS3. The first level was very unimpressive. In fact, if I hadn't heard so much about how great the game was, I might not have given it a chance past the first level. I guess it was necessary in that it taught you how to play the game, and set up the story. But I'll be damned if it didn't look exactly like GRAW. Muddy, boring, and brown. Once I got to Vegas, though, it was on. The first section of the second level was fucking awesome. A bunch of cars, a bunch of terrorists, and a fully automatic weapon in my hands. The lethality in this game is just about right, too. Any shot to the head takes somebody down. 3-6 rounds to the chest, even if they're wearing body armor, and they're going down. The two AI squad-mates are actually useful, too. They've got more kills than I do, if only because when I'm pinned down, I make them run out guns blazing. I blazed through the second level, and now I'm at the start of the third. Not sure how long the game is, but if I can't finish it in the rental time, I think I'm going to buy it. I hear the multiplayer is rad, too, but I don't know anyone who's got a PS3.

Over the weekend, I checked out some other demos. Heavenly Sword is really nice looking, and some of the combos the warrior woman does are insane. It might get old really, really, quickly, though. It seems a lot like Devil May Cry and God of War, actually, and both of those games got old really, really, quickly. Then there's Gran Turismo HD Concept or whatever the hell. What a suckfest. They give you one car, and it's a shitty, old car, to boot. I guess it looks nice, but so what? GT sucks.

Speaking of suckfests, the verdict on Lair is in. "Hey, we've got a great idea. You know how you can control shit with the Wiimote and it's awesome? Let's use the shitty motion control in our controllers and force players to steer their dragon with it in Lair! No, don't give em the option to use the analog stick, that's for fags. Motion control all the way, baby, we'll be millionaires!" Jackasses. Here's my favorite line from one of the reviews: "Running in 1080p you’ll have several situations where the game chugs like no other. Massive amounts of enemies will make the game a slideshow and will ultimately lead to you breaking something."

Warhawk is by all reports, awesome, but it's online only. If the crew had PS3s and we did LAN games, I'd drop the 40 bucks in a heartbeat. But you can't play online only games by yourself. Er, you know what I mean.

1 comment:

Nikoda said...

Yeah, I'm pretty sure GH is so rockalicious because you feel like a rock star not some geek trying to win another game like some sort of whacked out Simon. Well, you know, I do has job now. Depending on how things go we may break down and buy a PS3. After a 360, though. Gotta get the Halo 3 action. Doesn't matter how shitty the console is, Halo 3 takes precedence.