Tuesday, September 11, 2007

BioShock

I finished BioShock tonight. I've given my early impressions, I've given my thoughts at the mid-game, I've given my thoughts near the end-game, and now I'm here to give a summary of the complete experience. Not surprisingly (or maybe surprisingly, I don't know), they're similar to my early impressions.

BioShock: 2007 Game of the Year.

It's just that good. From beginning to end, this game grabs you and doesn't let go. It forces you to think about things that most games don't, and allows you to think about things no game does. It lets you experiment, it gives you choices that might seem superficial in the context of a game, but not in the context of the experience. It never got dull, never got old, never got to be a chore. I spent somewhere in the neighborhood of 20 hours exploring the City of Rapture, and now that I'm done, I want to jump right back in and do things differently all over again.

As much as I can complain about the bullshit copy protection schemes and all of that (and it's some serious bullshit), no one involved in creating the game had anything to do with that. They made the game, and they made a great one. PC or 360, it doesn't matter, but you owe it to yourself to play BioShock.

No comments: