Sunday, August 26, 2007

Hodgepodge

Quite a few things have piled up since I last posted, so here's a rundown of all that shit.

First, I saw Superbad tonight. It was pretty good, laugh out loud funny at spots, and stunned silence at others. Sometimes it was just a, "was that supposed to be funny? Because it wasn't" kind of thing. More than once, I found myself thinking, "Is this what it would be like if Kevin Smith lost his sense of humor and then wrote a movie about what it's like to be in high school?" Don't get me wrong, I don't regret seeing it, but it tried way too hard to be shockingly funny. Regular funny would have been just fine.

On a related note, I thought Judd Apatow had written and/or directed Superbad, but it turns out he just produced it. Makes sense, since I liked the stuff he wrote and directed (Freaks and Geeks, Undeclared, 40 Year Old Virgin) more than I liked Superbad.

BioShock is still awesome. I'm on the 4th level (section? area? whatever) now, and I'm still having a ton of fun. There was a moment where I said to myself, "Holy shit, he just *spoiler* and it's all because of *spoiler*" That doesn't happen a whole lot in games. In fact, I can't remember the last time it happened. Very cool.

I'm growing the beard back. What can I say? I like my beard. It's full this time, too. No shaving (except for my neck, I can't stand hair on my neck), just trimming from time to time. It has the added bonus of taking me from 16 to 25 like that *snaps fingers*

Debt continues to be paid down with extreme prejudice. I should have the credit card free and clear sometime next month, then it's just the "preferred accounts" or whatever the shit that I bought my TV and PS3 with.

Speaking of TV, I got the HD package added to my Dish Network programming. Fucking sweet. Watching football in HD is bliss. There's also a bunch of other all HD channels, like the Kung Fu channel. Good stuff.

I'm currently reading book 4 of The Dresden Files. If you're a fan of sci-fi/fantasy at all, you need to read The Dresden Files.

The next game I'm going to buy is Jam Sessions for DS. Check out this track listing. Blind Melon, Bob Marley, Bob Dylan, Cheap Trick, Jackson 5, James Taylor, Janis Joplin, Johnny Cash, Marvin Gaye, Nirvana, Jimi Hendrix, and Tom Petty. And that's just the pre-loaded songs. Holy shit, that might be the best guitar sim ever. September 11 is going to kick ass. Yeah, I know Metroid Prime 3 comes out next Tuesday, but I really need to play MP2 before I jump into 3.

No comments: