Sunday, June 03, 2007

Weekend Movie Review

Instead of going to see Waitress, I stayed home and watched The Pursuit of Happyness. I really wish I had went to see Waitress. As movies go, it wasn't bad. There are definitely worse movies. But I just don't get these sappy, "feel-good" based-on-a-true-story flicks. I guess they're supposed to make me feel better about myself, or something. Like how I should appreciate what I have, because it could always be worse. That's an honorable intention, but I really don't need a movie to remind me of that. I can turn on the news, or read the paper, or walk around downtown.

But that's not really the point. The point is The Pursuit of Happyness is not a bad movie, but I wouldn't recommend it, unless you really need to feel better about yourself, or something. Will Smith does a fine job, but for dramatic work, I much preferred him in Ali, or even Enemy of the State. Go rent those, and if you're still jonesing for Will Smith, then get The Pursuit of Happyness.

No comments: