Saturday, March 31, 2007

Movies, Movies, Movies

We got movies! Movie reviews, that is. Plus a TV show just for kicks.

TMNT, rated PG, featuring the voices of Patrick Stewart, Sarah Michelle Gellar, and Kevin Smith. I was a huge Turtle fan back in the day. I watched the cartoon series, bought the comic books, collected the action figures, and wore out my VHS copy of the first movie. So when I heard about the new CGI project, I was seriously geeked. Then it sat on the shelf for years, and the feeling faded. Once it was clear it was actually going to be made and released, I got excited again. Despite the fact that Splinter sounded completely blasted, and not all the jokes worked, it was enjoyable. I mean, Turtles. Come on. If you weren't wrapped up in Turtle-mania 15 years ago, you might not get what's so great about TMNT. Otherwise, you'll have a good time. Thumbs up.

Borat, rated R, starring Sacha Baron Cohen. I don't have much to say about this "documentary" because you really have to see it to believe it. I will say this: Sacha Baron Cohen has the unique ability to poke fun at intolerance while simultaneously pointing out how wrong it is. I often went straight from laughing my ass off to being sick to my stomach. As with most things of this nature, the people that need to see it won't. Thumbs up.

24, rated TV-14, starring Kiefer Sutherland, and a continous stream of fantastic supporting cast, including Carlos Bernard, Dennis Haysbert, Elisha Cuthbert, Sarah Clarke, Reiko Aylesworth, Mary Lynn Rajskub, Kim Raver, DB Woodside, Roger Cross, Louis Lombardi, Gregory Itzin, Jean Smart, Eric Balfour, Carlo Rota, and Peter MacNicol. Notable guest stars include Sara Gilbert, Dennis Hopper, Lou Diamond Phillips, Daniel Dae Kim, Geoff Pierson, Joaquim de Almeida, Gregg Henry, Gina Torres, Aisha Tyler, Arnold Vosloo, Peter Weller, Mark Sheppard, Sean Astin, Regina King, Powers Boothe, Chad Lowe, James Cromwell, Kal Penn, and Rick Schroder. I got caught up with the show on DVD midway through the 6th season, and I've watched the last three episodes on television. I won't spoil anything, but it's an awesome show, full of "Holy shit!" moments, great acting, and solid storylines with completely unpredicatable twists and turns. Jack Bauer is the quintessential badass, but the show is always reminding you that he's still human, and many things are simply out of his control. Again, without spoiling anything, I wouldn't be surprised if this season was the show's last. Jack seems to be reaching the end of his arc. I've been wrong before, and I'd really like to be here, but depending on how this season shakes out, the fat lady may end up serenading Agent Bauer. Two thumbs way up.

No comments: