Monday, October 16, 2006

Update: Apathy Subsides, Replaced By Rage

I just got off the phone with Microsoft. For a few moments there, I was actually shaking with rage. Let me break it down.

The rep picks up, and I explain the situation, complete with names and dates, that I was told my warranty would extend until 10/19, and I would like to get my box repaired for free. After all, it's only been about a month and a half since I got the replacement, and I've only had the Xbox for about 4 months (that's a blatant lie, but they don't know any different). I explained how the rep a few days ago had said the warranty was expired, but I didn't have my notes then to dispute it. He puts me on hold to check. After some minutes (not sure how long), he comes back and says the original rep was incorrect, and that I am still out of warranty. I disagree, as I was told by the rep a month and a half ago exactly when my warranty would end, and stated that I shouldn't be punished for someone else's mistake. It's at this point I request a supervisor, because I know this guy's hands are tied. I know that because I am this guy, basically.

Another lengthy hold time, and he comes back with the supervisor. He disconnects and I explain everything all over again to the supervisor (I want to make sure she has my side of the story, rather than just the rep's), which apparently upsets her, because she makes a comment about "letting her talk." So I do, and she spits out the same old garbage how I'm out of warranty. She adds new garbage by explaining why the original rep was wrong about the warranty. Here's how it works: When a new 360 is purchased, and it comes with a 90 day warranty. At any time during that 90 days, it can be returned for repairs. When the repair is received, it starts an additional 30 day warranty clock, not to exceed the original warranty by more than that 30 days. What does this mean for the consumer? Let's give some examples.

Example A: The 360 is purchased on January 1. It dies on January 17. The replacement is received on February 3. An additional 30 days begins at that point, but since the original 90 days is longer, there is no "extended" warranty.

Example B: The 360 is purchased on March 1. It dies on May 29 (the last day of the 90 day warranty). The replacement is received on June 14. An additional 30 days begins at that point, so the "extended" warranty is an additional 30 days.

Example C: The 360 is purchased sometime in June. It dies on August 11. The replacement is received on August 29. The "extended" warranty ends on September 28, even if the original warranty was supposedly set to end September 27.

That last example is me. I didn't purchase my 360 in June, but it's best that they don't know that. Anyway, she continues by saying that a repair order has already been entered and I've been charged $140 for the repair. I counter by asking if there's any way that can be refunded, due to this problem. She says it can be cancelled and I would be refunded. I had been getting steadily angrier through the entire call. It's at this point the rage tipped the boiling point. I don't remember exactly what I said, but I was pissed. I think I referred to my box as a "$400 paper weight" and said of course I wanted the repair. But it's ridiculous that I should be charged $140 for a replacement that's already been replaced once, and has gone bad twice in the span of 4 months.

She put me on hold again. At this point, I was shaking. A shorter hold time and she came back, and said she had the authority to do a repair order at 50%, so I would only be charged $70. I remembered that compromise people had been offered on the boards when I checked back in August. I said ok, and she charged the order. I asked again about the 1 or 2 year extended warranty, and confirmed I can call back once I receive the repair to purchase that, and the box can be replaced an infinite number of times during that span at no charge.

Am I still upset? Yes. Even at 50%, that's a bullshit way to make money off a manufacturing problem that they had prior knowledge of. It's not how you build goodwill. It's not how you earn repeat customers. Microsoft seems to be the juggernaut this round of the console wars, but these repair incidents make me seriously question how long it will last, and what this could mean for the next generation. Sony clearly needs to get their shit together, but Microsoft is kind of like the smoking hot woman that everyone wants, but then she opens her mouth and stupid pours out. So we'll see.

1 comment:

Nikoda said...

You can borrow my adorable penguin to set them on fire!