Thursday, April 27, 2006

You say you want a revolution, well you know...

Wii all want to change the world! (with apologies to the Beatles)

Or rather, Nintendo does with it's brilliant marketing team who managed to convince them that "Wii" is a good name for a console. I just read about this, and my first thought was "How the fuck do you even pronounce that?" Is it like "Why" as in "Why the hell is Nintendo changing the name of it's new console from something great like Revolution to something shitty like Wii?" Or is it like "Whee" as in "Look at us, we're Nintendo, we make great games but know exactly fuck-all about marketing hardware, wheeeeeeee!"

According to their website, it's like "We" as in "We like to play games" or some shit. Frankly, Nintendo, I had some high hopes for you this round of console wars, but after this shitty name change, and some of the other decisions you've made recently, I think you're done. Nintendo will go the way of Sega, and personally, that's fine with me. Nintendo's really all about the games anyway, so I don't care if I have to play them on my next-gen Xbox or Playstation, as long as I get to play them. Wiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii!

1 comment:

Bort said...

I can't disagree with the name change. I mean, really? WTF, mate? I don't get it and even if someone in the know explained it to me I doubt I'd understand.

Despite the head scratching name thing the controller is what's going to sell the Wii. (I hold out faint hope that maybe it's really supposed to be W2 or something.) Even if the Wii bombs the next generation of consoles will have some element of that style controller. I honestly think that thing is that forward thinking.

But yeah, that name is a hard nut to salt. I could see myself bying something called the Revolution. But Wii? Not even with your money.