Friday, April 27, 2007

Stay On Target

Way back...wait, no, that's not right. It wasn't way back, it was only 6 months ago. Seems like way back. Anyway.

Six months ago, when it seemed like I had a good shot at landing my current job, I did a little future projection. I looked at my rate of expenditure (for rent, food, transportation, other recurring expenses, and frivolities), estimated my monthly net earnings, and figured out how much debt I could pay off per month. I then divided that into my total debt, allowing for interest, and determined that I would be completely out of debt at the end of August 07.

We're rapidly nearing the end of April (where the shit did first quarter 07 go?), and I decided it might be a good time to re-evaluate my debt situation. I've already passed a couple of major milestones: I paid off the balance I'd been carrying on my monthly credit card (meaning the one that I charge recurring expenses like my Netflix subscription and cellphone service to), and just recently slipped into quadruple-digit debt territory (from quintuple-digit debt, of course).

My current total debt, including college debt, i.e. student loans, and credit card debt (which includes some student expenses, and some...questionable purchases) is 9 grand and some change. That means that I'm only slightly off target, and will be completely out of debt come mid-September 07.

Let me repeat that. I will be completely debt free in less than five months. That blows my mind for two reasons. One, since I've been earning my own money, I've always carried some small amount of debt. Two, I can't even begin to imagine what I could do with all the money I'm currently using to pay off debt. Sure, there are a number of responsible things I could do with it, but I definitely think one somewhat irresponsible thing I'm going to do is get a big ass HDTV capable of 1080p, and a digital satellite connection. Fuckin a.

Side note: as I wrote this, there was a fucking helicopter circling around outside for a good 15 minutes. I eventually got pissed, and peered out the window to see what the fuck was going on. It circled once more, coming by while sweeping the searchlight and shining it in my face, and then took off towards the east. Not sure what they were looking for, but I guess they didn't find it. Fuckers.

1 comment:

Nikoda said...

You're such a responsible young man. You should charge colleges a bunch of money to hold seminars where you tell college kids how not to screw up their finances. *nods*