Monday, April 23, 2007

Goddamn the Pusher

I said goddamn the pusher. I discovered something new and awesome today, unfortunately, it's already over.

Let me back up. About a month ago, I ran across a list on some blog somewhere about great shows that were canceled. Firefly was on it, of course, but there was another show that sounded especially intriguing. It was called Dead Like Me, originally aired on Showtime, and was about a young girl who became a Grim Reaper. Plus, it starred Mandy Patinkin (aka Inigo Montoya, and god help you if you don't know who Inigo Montoya is).

Fast forward to a few days ago. I wanted something to watch, and decided to go looking for Dead Like Me. I found it online, and started watching the pilot. It had me in the first five minutes. Unfortunately, the stream I was watching cut off after 6 minutes. After trying in vain to find another copy somewhere, I added the first season to my Netflix queue. I got the first disc today, and watched the first two episodes.

This show is awesome. It's got a great premise, solid acting, a lead voice over (very noir, actually), and characters get to say fuck, and shit, and goddamn. Plus, it's kind of cross-genre, like Buffy was. It's sci-fi, drama, and comedy all rolled into one.

The only downside is that it only lasted two 14 episode seasons. I'm hoping that since it was a cable show, there's some sort of conclusion. Even if there isn't, though, it's still a great show. I'm such a whore.

No comments: