Sunday, January 17, 2010

2009 NFL Playoffs: Divisional Results and Conference Championship Predictions

I just picked a perfect weekend. That's never happened before. While I thought going into the last game we could see the Conference Championship games be held between the 1 and 2 seeded teams, we've got an interloper, and I couldn't be any happier about that. Here's the rundown for this weekend's Divisional games, and my predictions for next weekend's Conference Championship games.

Saints 45, Cardinals 14
Arizona gave up 90 points over two playoff games. Not surprising that they're headed home. I have a feeling the Saints won't have such an easy time of it next week, but for now, they're playing at least one more game.

Colts 20, Ravens 3
Ok, so this game wasn't as close as I thought it was going to be. The Ravens made too many stupid mistakes, and when they did do something right, the Colts turned it around on them.

Vikings 34, Cowboys 3
The Cowboys were hot, but they got cold pretty damn quick. I don't care what anybody says, Jerry Jones is not happy with Wade Phillips right now. Also, this is the third game this weekend that the rested team was not rusty at all. It was also the last time this weekend that was the case.

Jets 17, Chargers 14
San Diego *clap clap* Super Chokers! The Jets scored 17 unanswered points in the middle of the two Chargers TDs. LT couldn't do anything, Rivers threw two picks, and the Jets went for it on 4th and 1 at the end of the game when they were in field goal range. Why? Because they played to win, and that's just what they did.

2009 Playoff Prediction Record: 7-1

Now on to next week's games.

NFC

2 Minnesota Vikings at 1 New Orleans Saints
Brett Favre vs Drew Brees. Adrian Peterson vs Reggie Bush. Sidney Rice vs Marques Colston. This game will be a shootout, and while I would like to see Favre go to one more Super Bowl, I would also like to see the Saints get their time in the spotlight. I think it will come down to the home team getting the win and moving on. Saints win a back and forth game.

AFC

5 New York Jets at 1 Indianapolis Colts
I really like Mark Sanchez, and Rex Ryan, and just the way the Jets play in general. They've got a great defense, they run the ball, and they smack you in the mouth. I also really like Peyton Manning and the Colts. They've got a swarming defense, and Number 18 manages the game and picks apart defenses like no other QB I've ever seen. Sorry, Sanchez, you'll have another shot at it. This is Manning's time. Colts win a hard fought battle.

Check back next week for results and my Super Bowl prediction.

No comments: