Tuesday, July 04, 2006

Truth, Justice, and the American Way

What better way to celebrate America's Independence Day than with some good old-fashioned super-heroism? I'm talking Superman Returns, which I saw last night on the IMAX. And man, was I impressed.

I went in expecting that Brandon Routh couldn't replace Christopher Reeve, and while I still think Reeve is the definitive Superman, this new kid did one hell of a job. His Kent was on the money, as was his Superman (helped in a big way by the fancy flying tech that blows away the quaint effects in the 1978 film), and I particularly enjoyed the homages to the earlier films ("I hope this experience hasn't put you off flying. Statistically speaking, it's still the safest way to travel," "You know, you really shouldn't smoke, Miss Lane," Brando as Jor El, Lois' terrible spelling, the end flying sequence, the beginning credits, etc.)

I liked Kate Bosworth's Lois better than Margot Kidder's Lois. Kidder's take on the character always seemed a bit off to me. And Kevin Spacey as Lex Luthor, holy shit. I think Spacey is a great actor, and he didn't disappoint.

Most importantly, Superman is, well, super. On a power level scale from 1 to 10, he's a 15. When Supes gets fired up, you know there's some shit about to go down, and when he's this powerful, that's some serious shit.

There were a couple of things I didn't like. The last 25 minutes or so. Very anticlimactic, 15 minutes could have been trimmed and it would have ended with a bang, rather than a whimper. Also, Lois' son I am decidedly on the fence about. Without going into spoiler territory, I hope the inevitable sequel is as good as this film, if not better.

I really liked X3. But Superman owned the X-Men in the face. You just got smacked down by DC, Marvel. What are you gonna do about that? *hopes Spider-Man 3 kicks serious ass*

No comments: